Monday 1 November 2010

Ghoulish Halloween food

Halloween is a great time to eat some really wacky food. At my friend P’s fancy dress party at the weekend, the food did a bit of dressing up too.

R made a delicious pair of carrot cakes and decorated them with an assortment of paper parasols, a vintage toy car, a Spanish flamenco doll and various plastic figures (the cake is hiding underneath, spread with a delicious brown sugar and orange frosting):

DSC00194

Her second sliced cake was adorned with pictures of Anne Widdecombe, plus Withnail and I. And why not? Remember the scene in the film where Withnail and I demand ‘the finest wines and cakes known to humanity’?

DSC00192

J and M made this absolutely sensational loaf of beetle bread, where black olives nestling in the dough pretended to be cockroaches. Insects never tasted so delicious!

DSC00209

My contribution to the party food – the ever-tasteful retro cheese and pineapple hedgehog (plus a plate of ‘dead man fingers’ sausages and a bowl of ketchup blood, which sadly I was too drunk to photograph):

DSC00212

The local supermarket had just one pumpkin left, so I had to improvise with a honeydew melon for the lantern on the right:

DSC00203

I almost prefer the honeydew melon lantern – happy smiling ghoul!

DSC00205

Guests really went to town on their outfits, too. R dressed as a Victorian wolf-woman, P was a ghoulish pagan dandy, S was a pale-skinned vampire, I met a young Ziggy Stardust, my husband was a serial murderer complete in blood-soaked body bag, and I dressed as a 1980’s aerobics instructor knifed to death in the New York subway. A number of people wore very disturbing masks. And actor Willem Dafoe made a surprise appearance, in the form of an extraordinary art installation. All as it should be! I have now almost got the fake blood stains out of my skin and hair…thanks P for an unforgettable night!

2 comments:

  1. Bless that melon! I wish it was my friend, like the basketball in Castaway.

    ReplyDelete